Re: Lower Cost Improvements

To: "autocross" <AUTOX@autox.team.net>, "Scott Meyers" <solo2@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Lower Cost Improvements
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 16:50:03 -0400
Ah, cheap improvements - those are the kind I like! :)

> As far as cost the plugs are very inexpensive. No brainer, but, are the
> platinums really any better?

Marginally.  Worth it?  In a sport where the difference between 1st and 2nd
can be thousandths of a second, any improvement is worth it.  Unless, of
course, you need to improve more than a few thousandths to worry about
taking the next higher position. :)

> The ignition wires are around $120 or so.....right?  (Magnicor?)  Heard
> good things about them.

I have to partially disagree with Jay's statement, which was:

> When somebody says that plugs or wires will make more power, it
> sounds a lot to me like saying "your dynamite will explode much
> more powerfully if you light it with our special matches." That's
> an obvious oversimplification, but I don't think most modern cars
> will generate more power just from changing out plugs and/or
> wires, unless what came out was worn out or defective. I know
> there are others who claim differently, but that's been my
> experience.

My experience is that it depends on the model, and what other modifications
it has.  SPS did dyno tests of various upgrades to a Saturn SC2.  A
Powerstack intake (I know, I know, not stock legal) and Borla exhaust each
contributed a few hp separately, but when used together the engine generated
barely more power than stock, and less than either mod alone.  But when they
added Nology Hotwires and Beru Silverstone plugs, power jumped to the
highest of any other configuration they tested.  They figure that since more
air was getting in and out of the engine, more fuel was added by the ECU,
and the stock plugs and wires weren't delivering enough juice to completely
ignite it all, whereas the Nology/Beru combo did.  Unfortunately, they did
not test to see what improvement plugs/wires with a stock intake and exhaust
make.  See the details for yourself at
http://www.donet.com/~sps/dyno/nolgytst.html and feel free to shoot holes
through my statements if I'm wrong - it's a learning experience. :)

It also depends on your car.  I know people who have put Magnecors on a Ford
Escort LX and complained that they got no more power than stock.  Of course,
trying to get more power out of that engine is like trying to squeeze water
out of a rock.  On the flip side, another friend of mine put Magnecors on
his Alfa Romeo 164 with a stock intake and exhaust.  He notices a power
gain, and says the engine runs much smoother.  In your case, I'd suggest
asking other 240SX owners what they recommend.

> As far as the injectors, my 1992 240SX has 95000 miles (nicely broken
> in), so I am suspecting that the injectors might be les than optimum.

I don't know much about injectors, but my theory would be that this would
only be a factor if your mixture is leaning out as a result of other mods.
Only then would you need the additional fuel delivery capacity.

    - Justin
      95 SC2 "Locutus"
      83 320i "Igor" (in the shop :( )