Re: Lower Cost Improvements

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lower Cost Improvements
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:40:05 -0500
> >As far as cost the plugs are very inexpensive. No brainer, but,
> are the
> >platinums really any better?

My disclaimer:  I am not a mechanic.  TAJMOATPS (these are just my opinions
and they probably stink).

>From what I understand, copper plugs actually conduct a little better, but
lack the durability of platinum.  Drag racers tend to go with the copper
plugs, and nothing weird like those 4 prong jobs or anything.  I buy copper
plugs partly for performance, and partly for cost.  They're way cheap.  I
don't mind changing the plugs more often because on my car ('98 civic) it's
about a 3 minute job.  I usually change them when I'm bored, but they will
last 10,000 miles or so.

> >The ignition wires are around $120 or so.....right?  (Magnicor?)
> Heard
> >good things about them.

Without an aftermarket ignition, anything over stock probably won't help,
especially with few, if any, mods.  Forced induction engines seem to really
benefit from a good ignition setup however.  Eeeemod... sounds like a good
name for a pet.  Same for Stu.8)  Replacing your wires with OEM ones would
be a good idea if the original ones have not been replaced.  On the honda
list, aftermarket wires with the built in capacitor that supposedly
"strengthens" the spark have been catching a lot of flack.  Apparently they
don't do much.  Cost a lot though, and with those cool neon colors I'm sure
you can feel it on the "butt dyno".

Blueprinting basically means taking something apart and putting it back
together exactly according to spec.  All that work can't be for nothing!
Good luck!

-brad