TT Recall

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: TT Recall
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 19:57:38 -0600
My friend's recently aquired Audi TT has been suddenly recalled by the
factory for a number of modifications.  (see below)  The reason for the
recall, as it was explained to me, is complaints of high speed
instability that could affect turn in and balance.

They want to:
Increase front roll bar stiffness
Change to stiffer dampers
Replace control arms (with ???)
Add rear spoiler  (yuk)

 These changes are not necessarily wanted for an autocross car, and may
dull turn in and handling balance (read add understeer)

The questions:
How does the recall affect GS class eligibility?
If he does not get the recall done, is he still SCCA GS legal?  (Shocks
and the bar are free anyway, but what about the control arm and the butt
ugly spoiler?)

This recall came about due to some European Autobahn drivers compliants
about it being too responsive at speed, and they decided to extend the
fix to the US cars, probably at some lawyers insistence.  These changes
are not really an issue over here at our speeds, but could very well
have a big impact on the autocross setup. My friend would just as soon
cut off his arm as put that damn wing on!  Is showing up without one
protest bait at a National event?