Re: Scoring System

To: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Scoring System
From: Josh Hadler <jhadler@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:59:29 -0700
Don Miller wrote:

> A posssible way is to do it like some of the
> motorcycle groups. Add the two days and the lowest
> point total wins.

        That would entail a points scoring system instead of raw times. What
would be the points basis then? Considering that there are sometimes
more 40 people in a single class? Would it be an FIA style points
scoring system, such that the differential from 1st to 2nd is greater
than the differential between 2nd and 3rd and so on. Then the person who
places first on day one will have a distinct advantage over the second
place driver, and even a glorious "pulled one out of their a**" kind of
run will not get someone a 1st place trophy if they didn't get it the
day before. However, that same run on day one will give them a huge
cushion for the next day.

> It rewards consistency but a person
> who has coneitis on day 1 could really jump on day 2.

        I'm not too sure it really would reward consistency. I think it'll
reward the people who really can explode off the blocks on day one,
making it harder for people to come back on day two. Hmm, I'll have to
think about that one...

        I took at quick look at the top DSP results from this last year. I
picked DSP 'cause I know they had a clean, rain-free course both days.

        Using an expanded points scale for each days placings, (200, 160, 130,
110, 90, 70, 50, 30, 20, 19, 18...), and looking just at the trophy
winning drivers, there would still have been a good shake up of the standings.

placing Times           Points
======= ======  ======

1               # 127           # 127 (400)
2               # 1             # 1 & 33 (tied at 250)
3               # 131           # 131 & 48 (tied at 240)
4               # 33            # 83 (100)
5               # 48            # 45 & 106 (tied at 98)
6               # 83            # 21 & 31 (tied at 50)
7               # 21            # 126 (38)
8               # 31
9               # 45

        Apart from the shifting of trophy positions all around, there would
then be a much higher likelihood of a tie. How would you decide a tie?
Give the higher position to whomever had the single higher score? Then
we're no longer rewarding the consistent driver. What if each of them
have the same breakdown of points? (160+90) and (90+160), what then? Who
is the higher placing driver? Go to their next best times each course? I
guess so.

        I can see the scoring alot more complicated due to all of the ties that
would ensue. Still, I guess it might be feasible. I'm sure that Matt
wouldn't mind trading in his 4th place trophy for a 2nd, but I doubt
Chris would be willing to trade down...

        With this particular form, someone who managed one awesome faster run,
or finally got one clean run on one of the days would wind up loosing
out in the event of a tie if the other driver was more consistent. Hmmm,
now I've just made the consistency argument...

> Just another possibility. I personally lie what
> someone suggested earlier in the day about buyinmg
> cone insurance. Yes, I'd like 20 cones worth!

        Hey Don, buy me a few while you're at it! :-)

-Josh2

--
Joshua Hadler    '74 914 2.0 CSP/Bi - Hooligan Racing #29 - CONIVOR
                 '87 Quantum Syncro - aka stealth quattro

jhadler@rmi.net
http://rainbow.rmi.net/~jhadler/