Re: Dodge 2500 vs. 3500

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dodge 2500 vs. 3500
From: Traci T <tltacrx2@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:32:23 -0800 (PST)

<mrndr2@juno.com> wrote:

> It being the off season here in Pennsylvania, we're
mucking around with
> the tow vehicle situation.  Does anyone have any
> real-honest-in-the-driver's-seat information about
towing with the Dodge
> 2500 vs. the 3500 pickups? <snip>

> SO...has anybody towed with both?  Or either?

I can't say anything on the 3500s, but, I have a 1996
Dodge 2500, extended cab, long bed, 4x4, 5sp, larger
v8 with towing package.  I ordered it from Chrysler
almost 4 years ago and I have yet to throw anything at
the truck that it fails to do.

I have towed a 38ft camper trailer (GVW 5000) up and
down the hills of southern Ohio for a friend a couple
of times in the middle of summer, air conditioner
blasting and the temp gage doesn't budge from where it
would be without a load.  You know the truck is
pulling a load, but it's still barely breathing.

I have horses, my horse trailer alone is 2650lbs, add
two horses at roughly 1100-1200lbs each as well as all
the tack and accessories to go with them and - no
problems for the truck.

My brother has a Neon that we hauled across several
state lines to an enthusiasts event and several times
I had to remind myself that the trailer and car were
back there.

I would recommend you get the towing package.  It is
not only the hitch and light hookup it forces the
inclusion of the heavy duty radiator and other such
items that make the truck what it is for hauling (this
was true on the 1996 2500 models anyhow).

Something that may be a consideration, in Ohio, there
is a difference in licening a 3/4 ton vs a 1 ton.  A
3/4 ton can be licensed non-comm (prices differ from
county to county because of taxes but mine cost $56
per year), a 1 ton is charged based on the weight of
the vehicle - it may be commercial (I'm not sure about
that).  I do know it it substantially more expensive
to license.

I did not purchase the diesel because at that time I
lived a mile and half from work and could not justify
it.  A little over a year ago I moved 50 miles from
work.  It was my daily driver up until about 3 months
ago.  I have 67,000 miles on it and have NO
complaints.  I did have a starter go out of it at
about 10k.  Called the 800 number, they came picked it
up and had it fixed by the next day - all under
warrenty.  I have had no work done to it since, other
than standard maintenance.  The truck is awsome and I
would recommend it to anyone.

We have hauled loads of different things and I have
yet to stress the truck at all.  While I did not have
to have the 4WD, I ordered it because I could.  I use
it mostly so I don't tear up the pasture (or yard)
when I need to move something over wet grass and such.
 You have to move those joints occasionally to prevent
problems anyway.

The truck is plenty big.  It is extended cab and long
bed.  I would not want it any bigger if I were driving
it a lot.  In parking lots - get used to walking!
Like someone else suggested.  Test Drive!!  I did.  I
had done all the paper research I could and I wanted
to know how big it really was before I ordered one.
Gas milage wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.  I
average 15-16 mpg without a load and a mile or two
less with a load.  They came out with the quad doors
after my truck was made, while not necessary they
would have been very handy.  With the extended cab,
when we go on a long trip, this is usually the vehicle
we take.

I wish you luck in which ever truck you choose.  I
have not been dissatisfied with mine yet.  As someone
else said -- These trucks Rock!  My 2500 does anything
I ask and doesn't complain.

Traci Teeter  -- TLTACRx2@yahoo.com