Re: Dodge 2500 vs. 3500

To: <mrndr2@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dodge 2500 vs. 3500
From: "George Ryan" <quad4fiero@webzone.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:56:03 -0600
<mrndr2@juno.com> wrote:

> It being the off season here in Pennsylvania, we're mucking around with
> the tow vehicle situation.  Does anyone have any
> real-honest-in-the-driver's-seat information about towing with the Dodge
> 2500 vs. the 3500 pickups? <snip>

> SO...has anybody towed with both?  Or either?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have towed my Pace enclosed with both a borrowed 1999 2wd 3500 extended
cab similar to the configuration you are considering (except it was a 2WD),
and my own 1998 2500 standard cab LWB. The dually did not have anything but
a bedliner, mine has a windowless topper on it. The 3500 had the 6pd with
3:94, mine a 5spd with 3:94.

The difference in suspension was small, I had the camper package and dealer
installed hitch/wiring, he had the factory tow package.

I have put over 24,000 miles on my Dodge since late Mar when I bought the
sole remaining '98 off the showroom, mostly pulling the trailer with a
variety of cars (my racecar has not been together much this season - but
I've towed show cars, race cars, antiques,  and stock cars  - plus furniture
and freight - all over the country for others on weekends). So my input is
not just as a "tow to the track within 50 miles one weekend a month" driver,
but as a cross country puller.

The dually was used for only one trip. But that was from Tulsa to Ft. Worth
empty, picked up a Fiero 1984 Indy Pace car, towed it to Huntsville, AL.
>From there I was empty to Pensacola, FL where I picked up a 1964 Impala show
car and towed it to it's new owner in St. Louis, returning to Tulsa empty.
So there was enough mileage to make a comparison.

I have found the following seat of the pants differences:

Ride - the 2500 is not as rough riding, either under tow or without a load.

Economy - the 3500 gave a solid 1 mpg(+) better empty , little difference
under load (less than a mpg  - but the 6speed seems just a tad more
economical) In 6th, the cruise did not pull hills near as well at the legal
75mph  {  + or - the extra 5 or 10 mph I tend to run :-) }in the western
states, under 65 no differences.  I tended to have to downshift a little
more with the 6 spd (not much, but enough of a difference that I noticed it)
in hillier country - I have never had to downshift the 5 spd in cruise
except in the Colorado mountains - but long steeper grades do pull the 6 spd
down at higher speeds.

Towing - I could not tell much differences in the tow. I preferred the
mirrors on the dually to the extended tow mirrors, but I just do not want to
drill holes in my doors to mount the actual tow mirrors (The 2000 tow
package has better mirrors without the holes).

Handling - There is no big difference in the handling, and I did not notice
any differences in the braking ( I did have to adjust my brake controller,
but I have to pretty much do that with each different load/weight anyway).

Bottom line, for just towing a tag-along trailer, I prefer the 2500 5spd.
However, if I had a slide in camper, or was towing a gooseneck, or needed
the extra payload (I have been known to haul a couple engine/tranny combos
while towing, but that hasn't even come close to the capabilities of my 3/4
ton with camper package!!) I would not get the dually.

For around town driving, the 3/4 is the better option. The dually is far
more cumbersome for a daily driver  - empty (see the ride comparison above).
Just for an example test drive both, then try to parallel park each of
them!!

Since I have had the Dodge (just this season) it has just been me on these
pulls. When the other half finishes school in another year, she will be
traveling with me, and I may then wish I had the extended cab. But for now,
at least, the standard cab is just fine - the storage behind the seats is
phenomenal compared to Ford/GM standard cab.

I am considering a small 8 foot slide in next season. I will let you know
when I do that, what my impressions are of the 2500 with that payload and
still towing ( the dually would probably be better here).