A friendly tip

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: A friendly tip
From: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 00:25:47 -0500
I've always prided myself on my ability to keep my driving record pretty
clean in spite my "brisk" driving style. I take all the precautions ...
stay in the right lanes as much as possible, monitor for brake
lights,etc. But tonight I got a ticket and the officer gave me some
insight as to how he caught me.

It was a dark and rainy night (just like in the horror movies!) and I
was on a rural divided 4 lane. I was doing 75 quite comfortably, with
very light traffic. I had heard about all the deer hittings lately and
was carefully watching the sides of the road, using brights whenever
possible, and I had my fog lights on.

>From the rear I saw a vehicle (just headlights actually) that looked
like a Ford Crown Vic. I slowed. Sure enough it was one of Ohio's
finest. He passes me he waits maybe 15 seconds and then slows to drop in
behind me. I was nailed.

How did he know, and why was it me he pulled over? He had radared me
from the opposing direction back about 4 miles and turned around to run
me down. I should have had my radar detector I guess but I haven't used
it in years. He told me though, that it was my foglights that nailed me.

Remember, it was dark and rainy. He was able to know it was me he
radared because I was the only vehicle on the road with fog lights on.
That is why he pulled ahead of me before he pulled me over ... to check
for the tailtale foglights. The lesson ... at night, keep your car
looking as generic as possible. I would have never been nailed if my fog
lights were off.