RE: Letter to SEB / ESP

Subject: RE: Letter to SEB / ESP
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:07:13 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:
> It seemed like a fairly quick move getting the E36 M3 into ESP, why the
> delay in moving it again?  Does the SEB actually want to see if someone else
> besides Bob T. can take the European pony car into the winner's circle
> before they decide it to not be a good fit in ESP and move it again?  I, as
> I suspect they are doing, would much rather base any such moves on what the
> car is capable of doing in numerous hands rather than just relying on one
> person's stellar driving to class the car.

I wonder how many top ESP drivers will leave the class first, thereby
invalidating that testing methodology?

> In summation;  Is every car supposed to be competitive in every class,
> forever??  Ideally, yes.  Realistically, no.  Perhaps natural selection is
> at work here.

No problem with natural selection.  If a new pony car had come out that
obsoleted the old one even in ESP (more unlikely since you can do a buncha
mods), you probably wouldn't hear me whining.

What happened in this case is that the SEB took a car that was proven to
be able to get into the top 5/10 in its class and moved it into a class
where it dominated.  Natural selection or catastrophic event?  Then, after
blowing off competitor's worries that the car would dominant, watched a
season go by where the car dominated every event it was entered in.  And
then, after all that, they stuck a footnote in some meeting minutes about
how there was no technical foundation to move the car and were tabling the
issue.

This isn't natural selection, its idiocy.

Mark