Re: Letter to SEB / ESP

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Letter to SEB / ESP
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 02:33:39 -0600
Oh, maybe as much as I've had when people like Herrick and Bollinger blow me
into the weeds by building cars with far more skill than I can bring to the
table and then drive them very well too, or when Adam Malley or Grady Wood
or Stan Whitney (and who's this Kannan guy!! :-) start bringing these
riceburners into our largely Brit/Italian class and clean house.

Would winning be MORE fun? Of course it would. But even when I was
uncompetitive and doing all I could to hold off last place, it was still
fun. Now that I've got a better package it is better yet, but still no real
threat to the top dogs of my class. Randy Herrick has gotten into my car
and, cold, gone a full second faster than I could get out of it on the same
day. There are some -- Herrick, Bollinger, Wood, Malley among them -- who
can just drive the wheels off things no matter what they're in. If I let the
fact they are better drivers than I keep me away, then certainly the fact
they also have better cars than I would have chased me off decades ago.
Instead I just try to make my ride a bit better, as I can afford to do so,
and try to keep learning how to drive it better. Five years ago I was 15
seconds down on my class champ. This year I was less than 4 seconds down.
That was worth it to me. Whining that someone else was too fast and going
home just was never an option.

What was the difference between 15 seconds and <4 seconds? Mostly cubic
dollars. I knew for years I was just outspent. And I know I could still
probably buy a second or two more time, but after that lack of talent will
become obvious. I'm about out of excuses now. But I'm not going to let the
presence of a few rice rockets in my class diminish my fun. (Besides, the
people driving them are fun too, and I come for that as much as anything.).

--Rocky