Re: Help with a Honda CV

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with a Honda CV
From: Todd Farris <toddf@pop.tamu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:41:14 -0600
At 03:02 PM 11/27/00 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 11/27/00 9:17:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>oblique@alum.mit.edu writes:
>

>> Last time I went to replace CV joints (Mazda 323) I found that buying
>> new axles with CV joints already on them was about 25% cheaper than
>> buying 2 CV joints both at the dealer and at the local parts place.
>> The dealer even asked, "What's wrong with the axles?" I told him
>> nothing, but the assembly was cheaper.  He was impressed to find out
>> I was right.
>>
>> It made the job a TON easier also...
>>

>The problem is that the axles you buy aftermarket are remanufactured, not
>new, as opposed to the dealership joints which are new.  I've seen lots of
>reman axles that only last 1-2 years under normal (read "non autocross" )
>use.  Then, when the customer gets tired of replacing them, and wants new
>joints, the splines on the reman axles may or may not fit the new joints.
>
>Charlie

Got to agree with Charlie on this note but, many of the remans also carry
lifetime warranties whereas the dealer is usually 12 month/ 12,000 mile
warranty.  I have installed remans that were junk out of the box and have
also had good luck with most of them.  If you can find out who the
rebuilder is, I suggest Moog first, A1 cardone second and nothing else
third!8-))  Whatever you do, don't even bother with Autozone shafts, or
most anything else they sell!  Spend the extra dollars to get a good part
from any of the major part sellers.

As for preference, I believe shafts are the best way to go because no one
ever services either joint according to their owner's manual.  Generally,
if a boot breaks, it is an outer two or three times before an inner breaks
and the grease broke down a long time before.

my .02

Napa guy
Turbo Toddie
Todd Farris