Re: Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Mod exclusions, was: What's wrong with this picture?
From: "msmith2" <msmith2@columbus.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:35:47 -0500
The point of the current SM classing was to capture the most common, average
cross-section of currently non-SCCA modified vehicles.

This means Hondas, in droves. It's expected that 2001 will be the first time
in a DAMN long time that speed parts for small-block Chevy-powered vehicles
will be surpassed - by speed parts for Hondas..... (of all things....)

It also means Talons/Eclipses, and Neons. It also means Mustangs and
Camaros. These cars are EVERYWHERE. You can't go to the store without
stepping on one..... This is also the target of current SM management.
Granted, there are cars in there now that are questionable, but you don't
fix that by letting MORE questionable ones in.

SCCA already has an elitist (sp?) reputation to deal with. SM was created to
attract non-SCCA members. The LAST thing you want to do is intimidate them
with an elitist marque.

For every single Porsche you let in, 5 Honda drivers will get scared off.
(admitted gross estimation, but it gets the point across).

Like I said, if you had to create a single Stock class, (or a single Steet
Prepared class for that matter...) that attracted the most cars, I stand by
my bet that Porsches would be far from that list, as would Corvettes.

I agree that these cars need addressed. By no means am I suggesting that
they be banned forever. They need for SM to get it's wind and for the
creation of the ASM, BSM, CSM, etc... classes. THEN you can put the 400hp
Miatas in ASM, and the 300HP Civics in CSM. (not suggesting that's how it
would work out mind you.....)

Mike CP58