Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: "!Team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 05:53:26 -0500
I think it's a mistake depending on any TV broadcast for storm info.

Even the best sometimes have somebody out sick, or the storm comes when
the good weather guy is visiting the holy land, or some other
inconvenience.

The most reliable severe weather information can be had with a
S.A.M.E.-compatible weather alert radio, available at Radio Shack and
other fine consumer-electronics stores.  These radios listen for
official warnings sent by the National Weather Service, and can be
programmed by county to even ignore warnings and watches outside your
immediate area, and are also a source of official forecasts at any time.

Now, what drives us crazy is that when a strong rain comes and wipes out
reception, it's always at the end of the movie, or the last laps of the
race, and you miss the most important part.

That wouldn't happen with cable, but sometimes lightning or power
outages take their toll on that, too.

Don't forget to use your own eyes and ears when the weather might funky,
too.  All storms start somewhere, it might just be at your house, this
time!

P.S. A portable weather-alert radio would be a good thing to have at an
autocross, too.  It might prevent a tragedy!