Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:36:24 -0500
"Charles R. Schultz" wrote:

> P.S. A portable weather-alert radio would be a good thing to have at an
> autocross, too.  It might prevent a tragedy!

AMEN!  I've got one that I carry in my briefcase all the time now.
Wish I would have had it a few years ago when the tornado blew through
Mineral Wells or when we took a lightning hit in New Orleans.

The irony of that New Orleans lightning hit is that I had been
counting the interval between lightning flashes and thunder claps as
the storm moved closer.  I was just getting ready to go find the event
chairman and tell him that we needed to shut things down for awhile
until the storm passed when the lightning hit!  If I'd had my weather
radio then, I would have known that we were under a severe
thunderstorm warning and could have acted sooner.

Thank God nobody was seriously hurt in either incident.

I'm not only a radio news guy who has built his reputation chasing
severe weather - I'm also a NOAA-certified storm spotter.  Why I
didn't buy a portable weather alert radio sooner, I'll never know.

I don't go to any event, anywhere, now, without that battery-powered
weather radio.  I even take it to Nationals.  I think I paid about $30
for mine from Radio Shack at the time.  It was money well-spent.
Don't know what they're selling for now, but I would guess it's still
at or below $40.  As a member of the National Solo Safety Committee, I
think EVERY region should invest in one!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman