Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: n2pua4@peoplepc.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:17:42 -0500
The original point was to _not_ depend on broadcasters for weather
alerts.

A weekend part-timer making minimum wage might not dare to stop the
14-songs-in-a-row-without-a-break weekend promotion to bother to
broadcast a weather alert.

In hilly country, you often can't see dangerous weather until it's right
on top of you, either.

In one example I remember hearing in the news at the time, bolt from the
blue (literally) killed a golfer in central New York about 3 summers
ago.  He was under blue sky, but the thunderstorm on the horizon killed
him.  This spring, at a weather spotter training session, the Weather
Service instructor told us this rule of thumb:  the 30-30 rule.  If the
flash precedes the thunder by less than 30 seconds, you are in danger of
being struck.  Proceed immediately to the best available cover
(preferably a sturdy building.)  Remain under cover until you don't hear
any thunder for at least a half hour.

All of these things make a weather alert receiver a good thing, so you
can hear the weather alert from the National Weather Service at the very
same time it's being transmitted to the radio station you're hoping will
be reliable enough to forward the information to you.

Remember thunderstorms aren't going to get you the days of advance
notice and advice on all the broadcast stations the way you get it for
hurricanes.  You need the most accurate info as soon as possible in
order to make a well-informed decision about how to react.