Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 11:44:49 -0500
Kevin Stevens wrote:

> Sorry for the sniping, I just really don't understand where you're coming
> from.  I don't see what weather conditions would affect an event that
> wouldn't be readily advertised by NWS alerts on your car radio.

That's OK, Kevin.  You can snipe all you want to.  Most people DON'T
understand the seriousness of severe weather - let alone the way most
radio stations operate today.  And how many people are even going to
be listening to their car radio at an autocross?

As Charles pointed out, a portable weather alert radio will give you a
warning instantly - at the same moment that it's sent to your local
radio and tv stations.  IF the commercial radio station you're
listening to has its EAS (Emergency Alert System) box configured to
automatically relay such messages, you'll hear it on your car radio -
IF you happen to be listening at that very moment.  But you'll only
hear it that one time.  The EAS system doesn't repeat warnings.

As Charles also pointed out, most radio stations today aren't staffed
on the weekends.  Everything is run by computer.  And, if they ARE
staffed, it's usually one minimum wage part-timer who probably doesn't
know squat about severe weather and could care even less.  I know!  I
work for a cluster of six Clear Channel radio stations here in
Shreveport.  (I'm News Director of Newsradio 710 KEEL)  On a typical
autocross Sunday afternoon, there's usually one person in the entire
building!  Even if that person DOES know and care about severe
weather, it's going to take him/her several minutes to get something
recorded and then plugged into the computer so it will run on all six
stations.

Plus, going back to the weather alert radio concept, modern technology
has greatly changed the way that weather warnings are worded.  No
longer do they just say something like, "A tornado warning has been
issued for Podunk County until 3:15PM this Sunday afternoon."  Now
they expand on that statement by adding something like, "At 2:45PM,
National Weather Service Doppler Radar indicated a tornado forming
over Lake Woebegone.  This storm is tracking to the northeast at
30mph.  That will put the tornado over Mule Shoe at 2:55, near
Grinder's Switch at 3:05 and directly over Dogpatch at 3:10.  Anyone
in the path of this storm should seek shelter immediately."  If you
know anything about the geography of your area, you'll know exactly
where you stand in relation to the storm's location.  For a severe
thunderstorm, they'll even tell you: the speed of its winds; the
amount of rain you can expect from it; if there's going to be hail
and, if so, how big; and whether it's packing dangerous
cloud-to-ground lightning.

All of that information is invaluable when it comes to making
decisions about whether to call a weather hold or even to cancel the
remainder of an event.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman