Re: Women Drivers In Solo II

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Women Drivers In Solo II
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:35:10 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>
To: <janice@wcsllc.net>; <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 3:25 PM

> In a message dated 7/5/01 8:11:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
janice@wcsllc.net
> writes:
>
> > In no sports competition is this classing thing true that I can think of
> >  except Solo II.
>
> Umm, Tennis???
>
> Mike D

How about virtually every Olympic sport.  Pro basketball, football,
baseball.  Not disagreeing with the main idea here, it's been proven women
can compete in and win open classes.  But the women's classes as a "farm
system", IMHO, works for the most part.  We (CalClub) put on an annual
Women's Only Autox School with only women instructors (men may only work
course and change tires, etc.) and always have a good turnout and never fail
to get new women involved.  Our society may be changing, but I don't think
it is quite to the point of boys and girls being raised exactly the same,
and that does have an influence.  I've been an autox instructor for probably
20 years with all types of students.  Yes it's changing, but in general, men
are still more agressive initially than women.  Sometimes too agressive, but
I find it's usually easier to get the men to back off a bit than to get the
women to get up to and over the limit.  Just my personal experience and
observations, I'm sure others may have different ones.

Rick Brown
FP 240Z