Re: Ladies Classes

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ladies Classes
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 13:31:53 EDT
I think we leave the classes and options alone.  Allow women to choose, based
on their own reasons, and support them in their decision.

In this male dominated sport, it's tough enough for women, give 'em a choice.
 We (guys) were all out chasing around in cars, trying to not get killed as
teenagers, and most girls (Mary Rice and Stacy Reitmeir being 2 exceptions
that I know of) weren't doing that.  I don't think women lack talent at this
sport, and many times they have more finesse than we do, it's mostly a matter
of environment, and maybe the aggressiveness of testosterone.  (That can be a
bad thing, too!)  But look at the areas of motorsport that don't give women a
chance to compete with each other -or- with the men.  Autocrossing has a much
larger percentage of women than any other form of motorsport.  I think we've
done something well for this to be the case.

What needs to change is attitude.  We need to support women, whatever their
choice in classes is.  When Mary and Lynn ran against each other for the
F/S-L National championship, NO one could say that was an easy win for either
of them!  There's no easy victory if you're running against Katie Elder or
Kelly, Stacy Reitmeir, Kay Bailey, Shauna Marinus (as a whole bunch of ASP
guys found out), whether they are running in Ladies or open classes.  Let's
just work on our attitudes and let the women decide where they want to run!

Charlie Davis