RE: Ladies Classes

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ladies Classes
From: "Bruce Haden" <Bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:57:45 -0700
Rather than reply to the myriad ideas put forth I'll just toss out
my thoughts in no particular order, some of which I wrote to Janice
privately last week.

        1st     Men and women are different. DUH!!! That would seem obvious,
but in modern society the radical "womens lib" movement has put forth the
idea that women are fully equal with men in all endeavors and they simply
are not. They are different; there's that word again. NOTE; I did not say
inferior-"different"- so save the flames and innuendo. There is nothing
derogatory about what I said and nothing implied. Men and women have
different hormones that make them behave differently under certain
situations.
Men are generally more agressive and, in almost all cases, physically
stronger
by quite a bit. In other words, men have more "killer instinct" than women
and that trait shows up in competition of all kinds. I've heard it said
that males are basically barbarians and it's the job of the females to
civilize them and keep them in check.

        These differences make pure head-to-head competition in some classes
nearly impossible; imagine the average 130 lb female trying to be
competetive
in a CP Mustang or something similar with manual steering and 12" tires and
you'll know what I mean.

        2nd  Why are so many MEN worried so much about this. I don't think the
women in the "L" classes feel demeaned by virtue of being in "L". Those are
the ones who understand what I said above. If they have a problem with it
they
can go to "open" anytime, and some do. I will support them whichever way
they go
and applaud loudly when they trophy regardless of which group they run in.

        3rd     This sport is supposed to be FUN! FUN; remember that concept!?
I don't mean fun as in "everyone gets a trophy" We are also about
cometition.
I have fun even when I don't win. People who don't have that attitude about
what we do need to move on to something else. Solo2 is, by nature, fun. It's
also very family oriented compared to ANY OTHER motorsport and it is
purely amateur in nature (Pro-solo really isn't "PRO"; if it was, you could
make
a living at it, and you can't). We are here to have a good time and I think
the present struture allows that. WHY do some people spend an inordinate
amount of time finding things to get their blood pressure up? I see some
thinly veiled anger in some of the discussion on this topic and I just don't
get it.

        4th semi-related...Someone mentioned novices at Nationals.
The concept is an oxymoron and doesn't make sense. If you are at the Nats,
you should, by definition, not be a novice anymore.

OFF TO WORK NOW...BRUCE