Re: Race tire questions

To: <dcraft@neo.lrun.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Race tire questions
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:51:47 -0500
From: dcraft@neo.lrun.com <dcraft@neo.lrun.com>

>I just bought my first set of race tires and wanted to know if I should
have
>the tires balanced (I have heard that the tire weights can come off on
course
>and could hurt someone?)

I have never heard of a tire weight injuring a person at an autocross.  This
does not mean it is not possible, but I find it very unlikely.  Remember
that folks autocross their street cars all the time, and most of these cars
have wheel weights of one kind or another.  I recommend that your wheels and
tires be dynamically balanced.

>when I got them mounted and also is there anything
>that the installer needs to know that might be different about mounting a
race
>tire as opposed to a regular tire (do I need to take it to a specialty
shop?).

Some autocross tires can be difficult to mount.  You want a person with a
lot of tire experience.  Also, some tires (Hoosiers, maybe?) may be
more-easily damaged than the run-of-the-mill tire.

>And what is the best way to heat cycle the tires before using them to race?
>They are BFG g-force T/A R1's.

I do not know about G-force tires, but the R1 tires were a surprise to many
tire techs because of the very stiff inner sidewall.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher