Re: Race tire questions

To: "Todd Totman" <cuzz@earthling.net>,
Subject: Re: Race tire questions
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:59:34 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Totman <cuzz@earthling.net>
To: Paul Zahornasky <p.zahornasky@att.net>
Cc: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 6:53 PM

>on 24 July 2001, Paul Zahornasky wrote:
>>
>> The only reason to balance tires is to quell vibration.  Tires usually
>> vibrate to the point that you will really notice it at 65-70 MPH.
>

>Unless you own a neon, then that vibration/shimmy might be anywhere from
>40 MPH on up.

You don't have to wait that long with a Lotus.  Unbalanced wheels on a
Europa can drive you crazy at just about any speed.  And 60 MPH + is a
pretty regualar thing in an autocross in a Street Prepared Lotus.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher