Re: Race tire questions

To: Paul Zahornasky <p.zahornasky@att.net>
Subject: Re: Race tire questions
From: Todd Totman <cuzz@earthling.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:52:42 -0400
on 24 July 2001, Paul Zahornasky wrote:

> The only reason to balance tires is to quell vibration.  Tires usually
> vibrate to the point that you will really notice it at 65-70 MPH.

Unless you own a neon, then that vibration/shimmy might be anywhere from
40 MPH on up.

> I don't know where Rocky gets his tires balanced (although IIR, it is on a
> bubble balancer in his garage, but that could be someone else on the list),
> but balancing four tires will probably set someone back 25-40 dollars,
> depending on where it is done and what type of wheel it is.

I get my tires mounted and balanced for $10/wheel.  Mounting only is
still $10/wheel.  It PAYS to make friends with a tire shop.

> Balancing tires used for autocross ONLY is a complete waste of money.

I presume that is your opinion which, of course, you are entitled to
have.

> Paul Zahornasky
> Spent 7 years as a tire store manager.

Todd Totman