re: Race tire questions

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Race tire questions
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:13:03 -0400
Dean -

It's your choice.  Safety is not an issue.  I have recently seen one or two
cars with tape over the stick-on weights.  And, in walking courses (half
the time between events) I typically find one or two of the more normal
press-in kind of wheel weights.  But hurt someone?  Tiny, tiny risk of a
worker being THAT close to the car at THAT exact moment.  And since 98% of
the tires on the course ARE balanced, hard to change.

As far as balancing race tires, it gets more interesting.  Last year when I
was stating on race tires, I mentioned to one of the best drivers around
hereabouts that I paid so much for dismounting ties, so much for mounting,
and so much for balancing.  He reacted strongly, saying that balancing was
a waste of money for autocross.  Few people would notice an out of balance
tire in the 40 second run, and it wouldn't be BOTHERING you.  Unsaid was
the fact that the extra rotating weight, which is unsprung. . .  (OK, that
was a very small joke).

So I told my tire shop not to balance my race tires.  They were so shocked
that they now balance them for free.

Or perhaps my ex-shop.  Got to an event Sunday, and one of the newly
mounted tires wouldn't hold air.  The bead had not been seated.  Yes, yes,
I darned well should have checked the tire pressure before then.  But quite
disappointing nonetheless.  Free fix, but no apology.

Chris Eckles
Estoril Blue M Coupe
Atlanta

I just bought my first set of race tires and wanted to know if I should
have
the tires balanced (I have heard that the tire weights can come off on
course
and could hurt someone?) when I got them mounted and also is there anything
that the installer needs to know that might be different about mounting a
race
tire as opposed to a regular tire (do I need to take it to a specialty
shop?).
And what is the best way to heat cycle the tires before using them to race?
They are BFG g-force T/A R1's.

Thanks,
Dean
<