Re: Race tire questions

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Race tire questions
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 07:09:01 -0500
> >And what is the best way to heat cycle the tires before using them to
race?
> >They are BFG g-force T/A R1's.
>
> I do not know about G-force tires, but the R1 tires were a surprise to
many
> tire techs because of the very stiff inner sidewall.

Run them around on the road, maybe do a bunch of on/off ramps, or looping
in circles in a parking lot.  Just running straight down the road at
highway speeds will do it too, but I try to run them a little low on
pressure.  Bring them up to operating tempurature (safely!), which is
pretty darn hot.  Then take them off the car and let them sit in the garage
for 48 hours.  There, your done.  Do not try to heat cycle at your first
event...the key is that they be allowed to cool for a long time after only
one heat cycle.  As far as balancing, I've never balanced an autocrossing
tire and have had no problems.  Tirerack website has a link to "The Care
and Feeding of Comp T/A Tires", look it up for more complete information.
Good luck!

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer