Re: Umbrellas

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Umbrellas
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:14:36 -0500
>Just say no.  Get a hat with a brim and some decent rain gear.
>
>Mark

I wish you'd been on a corner with me and two others several years ago at a
MiDiv Divisional in a driving rain. We had one of those big golf umbrellas
and all three of us were behind it. Not under it, behind it, and barely
peeking over the top edge (with our brimmed hats) to watch the course. If we
had to chase a cone, two of us were available, while the one with the radio
held the brolly and called it in. Logging was abandoned! Those without
umbrellas stood with their backs to the rain -- occasionally peeking around
as cars were in the vicinity of their station.

One solution does not fit all situations.

IMHO, an umbrella ban sounds like one of those rules designed to make things
easier for organizers with no consideration for those who have to do the
actual work. Better to find solutions that make the chore easier for the
workers, not restrictions that make the chore more onerous. A worker
standing as far off the course as he SHOULD BE, and carrying even a red
umbrella (although I might recommend ANY other color!), is no more
distracting than any other worker no matter what he/she is carrying or
wearing -- or not wearing.

--Rocky