Re: Umbrellas

To: <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Subject: Re: Umbrellas
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 00:21:35 -0500
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>

>Too broad a brush, Phil.

I'm sorry that I was not clear about the breadth of my brush.  See below.

>There's nothing in the SCCA Solo II handbook
>about needing instructions to stop a event (well, a run), nor have I ever
>heard any such directive or seen it on any sup for any SCCA event I've
>attended.  If you have a problem here, it's a local one.  Reference?

I was only referring to Rocky's description of a few workers authorized hold
the red flags, awaiting orders by radio.  I have never had any such problem
locally.  As I mentioned before, I have never seen red flags used this way
in any Twin Cities event, SCCA or not.

This all started with Pat Washburn talking about his Region prohibiting RED
umbrellas.  Since Pat does his local autocrossing either here or in
Milwaukee (or Madison, now that I think about it), I wondered to which
Region he was referring.

I love a good discussion, as several here will attest.  That does not mean
that I am trying to denigrate the methods of any organization.  What we do
here has served us well since 1968 and probably much earlier.  Your mileage
may vary.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher