Re: Umbrellas

To: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>,
Subject: Re: Umbrellas
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 07:49:20 -0500
I think Phil's point here, if I may interject, is to say that sometimes
when one person is charged with the flag responsibility the tendency is for
the other workers to look to him/her before acting.  They are hesitant to
make a move since someone else is responsible for that function,
particulary when they also have a radio, thus giving ther appearance of
needing an instruction.

We know of course that anyone can halt a car at any time, although I have
seen people un-officially chastized for causing delays when stopping a car
that wasn't *really* necessary.  Like Phil sez, this system has worked for
longer than SCCA has been autocrossing and it does put more of the burden
on everyone's shoulders to keep things safe.

> Too broad a brush, Phil.  There's nothing in the SCCA Solo II handbook
> about needing instructions to stop a event (well, a run), nor have I ever
> heard any such directive or seen it on any sup for any SCCA event I've
> attended.  If you have a problem here, it's a local one.  Reference?

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer
Wausau, WI