Re: ax-digest V1 #805

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ax-digest V1 #805
From: "Jim Mistick" <jimmistick@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:13:16
>On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Alan Dahl wrote:
> > Well SM2 is a "if you build it they will come" sort of class. No one is
> > going to build a car if there is no class but since it also takes quite
> > a while to build a competitive car, there will be few entries for the
> > first year. IMHO what SCCA needs to do is guaranty that SM2 will be
> > around until 2004 and then you'll start seeing some vehicles. Who wants
> > to build a car for a class that might not be around next year?
>
>On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Mark Andy added:
>I agree with that approach overall, and I bet the SCCA does as well,
>despite what Dennis is saying.  The national staff never struck me as
>idiots, they surely know that folks aren't going to build cars for a class
>until they have some faith that the class will be around for a while (both
>to race in and also to provide a market for their project when they're
>tired of it).
>
>Still, you'd think there'd be a buncha miatas with superchargers around,
>along with boosted MR2s.

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, I stuck my foot in my mouth and said:
There probably are quite a few cars that fit SM2 that aren't going to be in
national events but WILL show up at local ones.

I own a supercharged CRX (former yellow GRM project car) and a '75 280Z.
Thanks to SM2, I'm finally out of EM and FP.  My opinion is that there ARE
cars that fit SM2 out there, it's just that some drivers are not ready for a
national event right now.  I only have a few years of autocross under my
belt, so my driving needs much improvement before I leave the local club
level.

Experienced autocrossers agonize over the choice of their car and class
before starting to build them while newer people have built up their cars
before they took a look at the rules.  Now SM2 is an outlet for cars that
were stuck in modified or prepared classes where they took a beating.  Can
we let these cars get a taste of success at the local level before we expect
them to go to nationals?  Let's give SM2 some time to get on its' feet
before shutting it down.

Jim Mistick
Operations Director
http://www.speednation.com