Re: Thoughts on new B-stock

To: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>,
Subject: Re: Thoughts on new B-stock
From: "Joe Goeke" <teamnet@hedlygoeke.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:04:36 -0800
I could see this coming a mile away ;-), even from last year this time ;-)

Before we all go shouting "the s2000 is to fast for BS" chant, let's look at
the situation here.  First of all, on course like San Diego and Texas, where
the courses are fast (ie, lots of upper 2nd gear) and long, the s2000 is
going to really shine.  In these cases, yes the car will run times similar
to the C4, and dominate over the older BS cars.  The problem is, these are
not normal courses, and when you look at results of other events, like
nationals, you will see the s2000 has a hard time keeping up.  Second,
every one seems to forget just how competitive the 968 still is.  Look at
Koslaks results in the two years he ran the 968 against s2000 and Boxsters.

If you are stuck on San Diego and El Toro results, look and see that Anna
Goeke running in the open class was only 1.2 seconds behind me in a Boxster
on Sunday, and I had a stellar day.  She had the 3rd fastest time, faster
than Andy McKey in his S2000.  She normally runs 1.5 behind me in the same
car when she has a very good day.  Point being, she did better relative to
me in a Boxster than she would have in the s2000, and who knows how well
Andy would have done in the Boxster.  Point again, all the normal top
drivers were in s2000, so how do you compare.

Also, AS has on/off rain on Saturday, and ran in the _first_ run group.  BS
ran _last_ and had perfectly dry conditions.

Finally, at El Toro, we once again had very fast courses, faster than San
Diego (can you say 3rd in a s2000?).  All the fast S2000 drivers were on
Hoosiers, and the AS guys were in tired C4's on Kumho's, and as most of us
know, the Hoosier is faster on concrete ;-), so let's look at some C4
drivers with fresher cars and Hoosiers on concrete before we do to much
comparing.

Conclusion:  The current BS is competitive for the s2000, Boxster and the
968 on _most_ courses (check the data, it's there!). You will always have
course dependencies, so this is normal.  This is still pretty diversified
for any class, and yes the previous cars are pretty much un competitive, but
this is somewhat normal evolution of the classes.  As for the new AS, yes
it's a one car class, which is very affordable and already has great
participation.  Is this bad?  I say give it some time for other SS cars, or
new cars to be put with the C4 and see if we can get this class competitive,
and we will see this class surpass BS easily.

---JHG
Who has a s2000 and Boxster, so it's no difference to me where the put the
s2000.

206-295-3269
// --- Need a website?  www.goekeweb.com
// --- Room for rent! www.hedlygoeke.com/basementforrent