RE: Thoughts on new B-stock

To: Rex Tener <rex_tener@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Thoughts on new B-stock
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:33:04 -0500
> From: Rex Tener [mailto:rex_tener@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Thoughts on new B-stock
>
> At 10:00 AM 3/26/2002 -0500, Burns, James B. wrote:
> >Maybe I'm just reminiscing about the good ol' days, but I
> remember when the
> >old AS class was one of the most diverse classes in Solo2.
>
> Yes, it was one of the most diverse, but you are definitely
> reminiscing
> about the A-Stock glory years from 1995 to 1999.  Those days
> are long gone
> and will never be back even if you make the same class
> again.  Why?  Because at the national level, the majority of those
> competitors have sold their cars and either moved on to other
> classes, or
> they bought S2000's to stay in the class.

That's a good point.  I'm not really saying it needs to be the same cars as
it was in '95-99.  I just thought that the purpose of the reclassing was to
give more cars a place to play (especially the cars that were too slow for
SS but too fast for AS), and it doesn't look to me as if that happened.

> After the 2000 nationals I brought my M3 home, sold off the
> Koni DA's and
> sold the car.  I could see the hand writing on the wall that
> the M3 would
> never be competitive in A-Stock again.

I went the opposite way.  I sold the MR2T and got a Miata ('99 Sport Pkg),
then sold the Miata and got the M3.  I didn't feel that the M3 was the best
car for the class.  As a matter of fact, I preferred the MR2T for autox, and
the Miata was more competitive in its class.  But I wanted an E36 M3 ever
since they came out and could finally afford a nice used one, so I got one.
I am competitive at the local level, often winning the local events, but at
the national level I am mid-pack.

> Hopefully, the IS300 will be competitive in DS, so at least
> there will be
> one rear wheel drive sedan that is competitive at the national level.

I'm surprised I haven't seen more of the BMW 330Ci's competing.  They have
nearly the power/torque of the E36 M3, same brakes (I think), and same wheel
size.  If I could afford it I'd give one a shot.

Brad Burns