Re: reclassing

To: <ax-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: reclassing
From: "Chris Ramey" <cramey@houston.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:47:00 -0500
Well, the new classes are a big improvement, it is always somewhat of a
value judgement when defining classes.  I personally think that the c4, c5,
and Z06 all 'deserve' a class of their own to be competetive in.  AS right
now is only all c4 because the cars are cheap, available, and popular.
There are other cars in the class that are better autocross cars.

Certainly, a long running, popular, cheap car is a better choice to
'sponsor' than a short running, low production, less popular more expensive
or less reliable car (rx7) (boxster s, M coupe, etc.,)

This is the sports car club.  Sports cars should be encouraged.  s2000,
corvette, boxster, nsx, supra, m coupe, m sedans, porsches etc., should be
given as many places to run as possible, within limits.  I would like to see
D, G, and  H merged, at least at the national level, and more classes made
for cars like the base c5, m3's etc., to run competetively.

The new m3 is certainly too slow for SS and certainly too fast for AS;
similar to the RX7.

Oh, well, now I am rambling.  Bottom line, not every car can be competetive,
and if you get too many DIFFERENT cars in a class you get course dependent
outcomes.    You just have to balance it as best as possible, and I think
right now they are doing a pretty good job.