Re: How to get novices to "stick".

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How to get novices to "stick".
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 16:35:59 -0400
On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 04:08 PM, Alan Pozner wrote:
> In this theoretical class the competitive guys would take NEW expensive
> street tires and shave them down to a racing tread depth of a few 32nds.
> They would last about 50 runs and then need to be replaced. Just like R
> tires now. Do you think that the top STS guys are running regular street
> tires that they drive to events on?

Which is what we did back in the dark ages.  Well, it's what the guys with
the money did.  Then, as now, a lot of us just changed our tire pressures
for the day...

If I hear someone complaining about being new and only having street tires
I tell them that the first year I had my current car I only ran on the
stock tires (which sucked nearly as much on the street as they did at AX.)
That was so I could learn to drive the car.  I ran r-compounds on my
previous car, and I've run two different brands on the current one.  But
first I tried to learn the car.

Sometimes that makes them feel better.  And sometimes they can look and see
the gaps between folks in the same model car with the same tires and see
that the driver matters far more than the car inside a class.

David