Re: autox stuff- need big wing_

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: autox stuff- need big wing_
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:41:26 -0400
dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> 9) Ponder what the REAL purpose of this wing is. *

That big, inefficient wing section does provide useful downforce for the
big cars going down the straight. They always have more power than the
track can hold so the bit of downforce they provide allows better
acceleration in the straight.

Yes, the end plates are there to help turn the car. Not too many years
ago someone created a wall car for dirt. No wing, just a clear, vertical
wall that ran the length of the left edge of the car, attached to the
bodywork. IIRC the front portion of wall was articulated to turn into the
corner with the steering, becoming a sort of rudder. It beat a few winged
car track records before it was banned as being unsafe. It wasn't, nobody
wanted to deal with it.

I've always wondered how a twin wall car with two leading, steerable
rudders would would do in autocross. (AAMod anyone?) It would probably be
a nightmare trying to set the ratios of steering wheel angle to rudder
angle.

Jon

--
Yes, I know my message date is sometime in April 2001. Welcome to
my own personal version of the film Groundhog Day!

Babe! I got you Babe!