Re: Numbers

To: "Charles" <golden1@britsys.net>, "Andy Hollis"
Subject: Re: Numbers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:09:58 -0500
Actually, I rather like Charles' idea. Despite the misgivings of others, I
don't see why protests on numbers could not be restricted to tech and timing
officials -- the people whose job it is to verify such things as stickers
and numbers, and the people who are directly affected by bad numbers.

Your bad number is not the reason you beat me! But perhaps it should be the
reason T&S is not going to waste time on you. That's an official's function,
not a competitor's, and it would just take a line of type in the rule to say
"violations of this section are not protestable by competitors."

It is akin to the concept that a tire, once teched and approved, is not
protestable.

Along with that SHOULD be a greater emphasis on compliance, with stronger
enforcement by officials.

I'm never comfortable with "Oh, the PC would throw that one out" because PCs
vary in personnel and what one thinks is weenie another decides to hear.
BTDT. I was on a PC at Nationals once and we decided a certain driver's
modification was legal. He was protested again the following year and that
PC found a different way to look at it and bounced him. I disagree with
their rationale, but then again they disagreed with ours (each for arguably
equally valid reasons). Which primarily illustrates that a PC ruling is
itself no precedent and no indicator of what another PC will do. Only an
appeal (not filed in that case) would ultimately settle it.

If it is in the book, it can be protested -- unless the book specifically
says it cannot be.

--Rocky