Re: autox question

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: autox question
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:01:38 -0500
Okay, if a rule there be it is likely what is found in 4.4 CAR/DRIVER
LIMITS.

It should be noted, 4.4 is NOT one of the mandatory rules, thus local
regions at local events are free to waive or ignore it. Such as:

A. A driver man enter an event only once.
We let them enter more than once, just that the subsequent sets of runs do
not count for anything (including trophy depth in that class). But the
driver pays for the privilege of more runs with times recorded (as opposed
to fun runs where times are not recorded).

or:
B. A given car may be entered by no more than two drivers in the same class.
Then there was the day Oklahoma State brought their Formula SAE car up, with
six drivers! Okay, who was hurt by letting all six drive it? We got six
entries out of the deal, they had fun, and the only thing we asked of them
was to be able to insert a new driver each heat and not delay the event (if
the car broke from overuse, we could not wait on them). It ran like a top
all day. BTW, it also was the only car running AM that day, so it is not
like the six of them ganged up on some other lone AM driver.

and finally:
C. If, during the event, a vehicle experiences mechanical problems resulting
in its permanent withdrawal from the day's competition, the driver may
finish his/her runs in another car legal in that class.

Happens all the time.  Especially at top-level events such as Nationals. Ask
Charlie Clark (a 100 Percenter) about the year he drove five cars! A Corvair
aficionado co-driving a Mustang that year, when it broke he went on a
mission to drive every Corvair entered! And note, the "permanent withdrawal"
is from "the day's" runs -- it can be fixed again for the second day.

So okay, it's raining and the A-mod only has slicks, that's kinda a
mechanical problem (no mechanical grip!). So he sticks his Neon in as an
A-Mod to get some runs in. Anybody wanna dispute the Neon is illegal for A
Mod?

Or, maybe he just withdraws his A Mod entry and re-enters as E Stock with an
ES-legal car.

Where is the harm?

Remember, the ultimate purpose here is to go have fun with cars. If it is
raining, perhaps that closed car with a windshield and wipers would be more
fun than an open-wheeler burying itself in its own rooster tails. Does it
really matter so much to make an issue out of it? What's the worst that
could happen -- he shifts to your class and you know he'll likely win it? He
could just as easily have done that anyway from the outset -- say his car
was at home broke that weekend so he brought the daily driver instead.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that what car he originally brought and/or entered
is merely a detail. If we spend too much time getting caught up in the
details, we deny ourselves the fun we came to have. The entire rulebook is
mandatory only at the Divisional/Tour/Nationals level. At local events you
can pick and choose what you do or don't want to enforce (other than the
mandatory items set out in 1.1). My attitude is, use those which ensure a
level playing field for all and treat everyone fairly. Beyond that, choose
helping over hassling -- help your fellow competitor have fun and don't
throw up unnecessary and picayune roadblocks.

But if you must hang the answer on the rulebook, then 4.4.C says yes, you
can switch cars; just that the new car has to be legal in its class. And it
is generally considered a car from a lower class (see the Appendix B bump
chart) is ipso facto legal in the class.

--Rocky Entriken