Re: Re: Lotus Elise

To: "Bradley H. Lamont" <lamont@mailhost.org>, "Chuck"
Subject: Re: Re: Lotus Elise
From: <randyc2@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:24:36 -0500
> From: "Bradley H. Lamont" <lamont@mailhost.org>

> Wheel spin may not be as big a problem in the Elise if Lotus has done its
> suspension tuning properly.  The MR-S has most of its wheel spin problems
> because the front springs are too soft.  This allows the front outside
> corner to roll over too much and lifts the rear inside tire.

I have spent about 30 minutes under a new Elise trying to determine some
issues, and have spent an hour with the engineer from England (more info at
http://www.elisetalk.com/ )

The Lotus is intentionally very softly sprung for optimum performance, so wheel
travel (according to Lotus will be significant). The present Sports Suspension
option with the 195 series tires on it, is very close to the outside inside
wheel well. Just a guess at this point, but about 1" of compression and a wider
205 series tire, and it will be an interference.

With no plans to accomodate a 205 series tire just for us, and no plans on
adding an LSD option, I think the performance of the Elise *may* have some
limitations.

> Until someone actually sets one up for autox and drives it, no one will
> know how well it will perform.  Autox is a fickle sport - what would be a
> minor inconvenience in other settings (street or track use) can become a
> major liability for a car.

Agreed. In my discussions with Lotus, they keep coming back to the intention of
the car being a wonderful and safe street and track car, which I am sure it is.
The whole autocross thing is way off their radar.

Randy Chase (stuck in the LA Auto Show until the 11th)
http://www.chasecam.com/ (note new name)