Re: Lotus Elise

To: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Subject: Re: Lotus Elise
From: "Bradley H. Lamont" <lamont@mailhost.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:27:07 -0600
At 09:56 PM 1/4/2004, Chuck said:
>Why AS? Just because of the Lotus name? Compare the following:
>Elise. Body 2 seat sportscar. Engine: same as Celica GTS +10hp, 400# lighter
>than GTS, both lack LSD. GTS = DS (where it's an underdog).
>Toyota MR2S. Body 2 seat sportscar. Engine same as Celica GT, weight ? (I
>assume a couple hundred pounds lighter than the GT). Both lack(ed) LSD. GT=
>GS, MR2S = CS.
>Based on the above, sounds to me that the Lotus might be a BS car,
>especially since Lotus handicapped it with a bastard sized front wheel?
>Discuss!

Hmmm... a car is more than the HP rating and weight, especially in autox:

- Front-engine, front wheel drive vs mid-engine, rear wheel drive.
- Strut front vs double a-arm
- proper race suspension tuning vs streetable tuning from Toyota

Wheel spin may not be as big a problem in the Elise if Lotus has done its
suspension tuning properly.  The MR-S has most of its wheel spin problems
because the front springs are too soft.  This allows the front outside
corner to roll over too much and lifts the rear inside tire.

Until someone actually sets one up for autox and drives it, no one will
know how well it will perform.  Autox is a fickle sport - what would be a
minor inconvenience in other settings (street or track use) can become a
major liability for a car.

Brad

Bradley Lamont                 #93 BS - 2001 Honda S2000 Spa Yellow
lamont@mailhost.org            #?? AS - 2002 BMW M3 Alpine White
www.over6racing.com