Re: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>,
Subject: Re: California DMV chief wants to track all drivers with GPS
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:07:36 -0500
IMHO this type of scheme is championed by some high tech company looking to
sell the government a bill of goods on the idea by baffling them with BS
justifications, then winning a highly lucrative contract to provide the
equipment and operate it (because they make the technology it so proprietry
that no one else can bid on the contract and they have the gov by the short
ones once it's in place). A perfect example is the red light cameras, I
haven't seen any statistics that prove they have any real significance in
reducing traffic accidents except possibly at a few specific intersections,
but they generate huge profits for the companies that install and monitor
them.