re: Heartland Park replies to autocrossers

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Heartland Park replies to autocrossers
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:27:03 -0400 (EDT)
Ray Irwin wrote...
> Over the last 4 years $15.0 million has been spent to bring HPT up to modern
> day race track standards.

   That he bought a dogtrack is not our problem.  I hope he got a good
deal, at least.  The Irwin's other track, in Illinois, remains a dogtrack
after 2 decades of their ownership ( latrines ).

> Heartland Park Topeka is honored and very proud to be the host facility for
> both the SCCA SOLO Championships and the Runoffs. During the months of
> September and October HPT is devoted almost entirely to presenting those two
> events, which provide no direct facility rental.

   The Solo events run for about 9 days, and Runoffs is about the same.
Since when does 2.5 weeks equal 2 months?  Obvious lies don't really help
his case.

   In fact, during those months, the following events are at HPT...

SCCA National 9/1-2
Legends on 9/3
Test day on 9/4
Fun Ford Weekend 9/8-10
DIRT 9/10
Bike Day 9/11
T&T 9/14
Summit Racing Series 9/15-17
Capital City Clash Dirt race 9/27

   Now, here we go...
Runoffs Test Week 10/2-8

   I could see where that'd dent HPT's October revenue, but here's what
they're charging for those days;

Date    Cars    Cost
10/2    30      $1,000
10/3    30      $1,000
10/4    40      $750
10/5    75      $550
10/6    100     $500
10/7    150     $450
10/8    200     $400

   That's payable directly to HPT, in case you were wondering.  I'm not
working up a lot of sympathy for Ray just yet.  Let's look at the rest of
October...

Kansas City PCA 10/20-22
Bike Day 10/23
Viper Racing League 10/27-29

   So where, exactly, is this huge loss of revenue that we're
being expected to cover, Ray?

   Although I am wondering where the $100,000 in Solo Nationals entry fees
goes, if not at least in part to pay for the facility rental.

--
 David Hillman
 #18/20 BS