Re: Fwd: Pulling the Engine

To: Thomas Walter <walter@omni.sps.mot.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: Pulling the Engine
From: mg boy <mgmidgetboy@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 08:50:25 -0800 (PST)

Here is my $0.02.  I have pulled an engine and transmission
combination (on a Midget it is the ONLY option).  The "cherry picker"
AND engine "tilter" is the only way to go.  I purchased both from
Parts America (used to be Western Auto).  The local store would price
match anything that was comparable.  I walked out the door with
everything for ~$220 (4 ton capacity, supposedly).

Anyhow, my caveat to the problem was to roll a "trolley jack" (floor
jack) under the tail of the transmission as the eng/trans was exiting
the engine bay.  Smooth.

After rebuilding the tansmission, the trolley jack caught the tail of
the transmission first, then I could
tilt and drop the engine in place on the engine mounts.
The moveable jack allowed me to position the transmission easily
without trying to strong arm it in  place.  BTW, there is only about
6" of clearance under these cars.

I only needed help to get the trans. tail over the fenders and grill.
I did the entire job in a 2 car garage wit a standard 8' ceiling.  No
mishaps.

Hope this trick helps, sure maade my life easier.
Cheers,
Jeff