Re: Fwd: Pulling the Engine

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Pulling the Engine
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 20:40:36 -0800
At 12:05 PM 2/13/99 -0600, Ronnie Day wrote:
>Good idea, Gordon. What about using pieces of 3/4 plywood cut to the same
>sizes? That way you could probably leave the flywheel attached. Of course
>there might be enough on the rear pan rail between the pan and the cover
>plate for a 2 x 8 to fit anyway. I'll look on the L-series that I'm
>messing with.

I'm quite sure that the 2x8 would be too thick to work with the flywheel in
place. Using plywood for the back piece would probably work, although it
might weaken the box (see next comment). I wouldn't use 3/4" plywood for
the whole box, though.

>Probably a good idea to reinforce the corners of the "box" with "L"
>brackets to limit any tendency of the box to collapse outward from the
>weight. Just use the 4 or 5 inch size and screw them on the outside of
>the corners using 1 1/4 inch decking screws.

On mine, I made the front and rear cross-pieces wider than the box, then
put 3" drywall screws through the cross-pieces into the side 2x8's. This
puts the screws in shear under any spreading force. With a 3/4" plywood
base and more drywall screws up through the base into the 2x8 box, it's
been plenty solid. I have made three of these engine rollers and have had
complete engines sitting on them with no problems.
Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org