Re: Rear Brake Swap

To: <SRL311KA@aol.com>, <toby@wolfenet.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake Swap
From: "Calvin Grandy" <cmgfam@sover.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:32:55 -0500
When considering fluid power (hydraulic brakes)  The work is done by pressure
not by distance.  This is not the true definition of work i.e. Force X
Distance, but is what we are considering.  If the small cylinders move out more
rapidly under pedal application, so what! The resistance to movement, when the
shoes hit the drums, will result in a build up of pressure that will  extend
any sluggish members (front caliper pistons perhaps).  When all the free play
is taken up, then the real pressure will build, and the work of stopping can be
done.

If the wheel cylinders are smaller, the resulting braking force may be smaller
(do not neglect the self energizing effect of the leading shoe) and there will
be less pedal travel before the brakes start to "bite", A higher pedal action.
Mechanical adjustment of the pedal linkage can reposition the pressure point of
the pedal if desired.

Please do not construe this as an endorsement for the exchange of wheel
cylinders!  I do not know what the results will be.  I just want to make clear
the nature of the system.
Regards

Calvin Grandy
Vermont