Re: Tow Dolly Questions

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Dolly Questions
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:25:57 -0600
I've been dollying mine for a couple of years now with no problems.  I did
have to replace a tranny, but I think that was from abuse at the autocross
and not from the dolly.  The shifter forks seemed to have broken from
cramming it into gear.  The syncros were all bad and it made a lot of bad
noises when shifting quickly.  I would usually just crash it into gear.  The
tow dolly is as wide as a trailer, but not as long.  The roadster is pretty
narrow in front and the tires don't ride in the bucket of the dolly
properly.  To get around this I adjusted the camber to -2.5 degrees which
kicked the bottoms of the tires out some and I also used wheels with a
little less backspacing effectively moving the track outward.  Another
problem I have is with the tailpipe dragging.  The lowered rear end (comp
springs) and a 7" supertrapp silencer make ground clearance a problem.  I
use some really tall tires in the rear while on the dolly which helps some.
In the future I plan to remove the rear bumper and hike the tailpipe up
another inch or two.  The last problem I have with the dolly that would make
a trailer more desirable is the need to change tires for towing.  You can't
tow the car with race tires on the rear.  It would wear them out too fast.
The front race tires are too wide to fit on the dolly and the straps won't
fit over the tire properly.  I have to change all four tires to tow and to
race.  It is a hassle, but that's what you have to do to to be competitive
(race tires) and to have the convenience of a tow dolly (small storage
size).  I think there are pictures of my Roadster on the dolly on my
picturetrail site at:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=nomadtrash@att.net

Thanks,

Andy