RE: Tow Dolly Questions

To: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>,
Subject: RE: Tow Dolly Questions
From: mtyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:02:22 -0600
Patrick J. Horne wrote

>I have a friend that owned a wrecker service that had to buy a corvette a
>new engine when the trans was in neutral at the beginning of a tow that
>went into gear when the driver hit a rather large bump, causing something
>in the car to push the trans into gear. The driver didn't notice the
>additional
>drag caused by turning the engine. 30 miles doen the road it was shot.
>....... At least that is what I was told!
>
>Peace,
>Pat
I can show you a nicely exploded picture of a 320 transmission housing
from just such an incident. Or a picture of a nicely exploded 320
transmission housing...  Look before you tow...

http://datsun_marc.tripod.com/cgi-bin/transmission.jpg

Of course the downside of pulling the DS in the 1600 is that the gearbox
oil will come out!  Can the drive shaft be safely disconnected at the
diff end and tied up in place without interfering with the diff input
flange?

-Marc T.