RE: Tow Dolly Questions

To: <Eschcool2@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Tow Dolly Questions
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:20:22 -0600 (CST)
Jeff, I haven't tried backing onto a tow dolly, but I can see some
problems.

First, the rear overhand on a roadster is longer than the front overhang
on most cars, so there may be a clearance problem between the tow vehicle
and the roadster.

Second, since the rear end of the roadster is much higher than the front,
yo will transfer more of the weight of the roadster to the fron
suspension. I don't know just how much that would affect things, but it
will probably contribute to front end wear. The steering box would
probably get more banging in one spot, possibly causing a wear spot on the
worm gear.

You would also have to secure the steeringwheel to keep the front wheels
straight so the steering lock (if you have one) won't get too much
pounding.

All of this may be moot points if you are only towing a few miles and/or
seldom.

Having a trailer for the once in a blue moon transport of a roadster can
be expensive, so it may be cheaper and easier to just rent/borrow a flat
bed trailer when needed. I, for one have a 16' flat bed that I use
weekly on my ranch, so it is free for me to just grab it and go for
the roadster, something that I have yet needed to do! (My roadster is my
daily driver and in the last 9 years has only left me stranded once when I
ran out of gas...don't they put that in at the factory?!?

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner