RE: Tow Dolly Questions

To: lou daly <lou_daly@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Tow Dolly Questions
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:22:16 -0600 (CST)
As I recall the reason to not tow a manual trans vehicle with the
driveshaft in place is that the angle of the vehicle may cause the trans
fluid to move away from the bearings at the front of the trans, especially
if the trans is low on fluid.

I have a friend that owned a wrecker service that had to buy a corvette a
new engine when the trans was in neutral at the beginning of a tow that
went into gear when the driver hit a rather large bump, causing something
in the car to push the trans into gear. The driver didn't notice the additional
drag caused by turning the engine. 30 miles doen the road it was shot.
....... At least that is what I was told!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner