Vaporlocking

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vaporlocking
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 22:29:14 -0700
Greetings y'all,

  Well, I've been driving and tweaking my car all winter, and figured
FOR SURE I've got this thing tuned so sweet it couldn't possibly have
vaporlock problems come summer time. NOT!

  Pretty much a normal (non-race) setup: non-smogged, 1.5 yr old
Ztherapy SU's, header, Boone's EI dizzy, fuel line goes around front of
engine, bracketed away from it (another WyCROCer ran his fuel line around
the front of the rad, made no difference).  Heat shield's there and in
good shape. Fuel pump's only a year or 2 old. Valve job a year ago. Runs
like a top. Gets about: 30mpg highway, 27mpg town, 3,000 mpq oil. NEVER
overheats - we thought the temp gauge might've read low, but the head was
STRAIGHT and stock thickness last year. I've put about 60,000 miles on it
in 4.5 years :)  - and it's ALWAYS had vaporlocking problems in the
summer (80-95 degsF) (until now, there's usually been several possible
influences/mech'l problems).

  Even today where we hit around 70, I get in stop'n go traffic/lights,
and it puts up with it for a little while, then starts sputtin' and
farting (so do I, but that's another story...). Maybe it's altitude?
I'm at 7,000 ft.. Everything boils at a cooler temp up here. 'Course
once I get on open road, it clears up after a minute or 2. I WOULD say
it recovers quicker than ever before...

  I could've sworn one of you Arizonian roadster folks mentioned never
having had a vaporlock problem, even in 100+ weather! If so, HOW SO???

  Wish I could test the altitude theory by bringing it down to Solvang.
sigh. Maybe next year.

thanks,
dan neff     '69 2000
colorado springs,  co