RE: Nuts and Bolts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Nuts and Bolts
From: "Conley Phillips" <lonestar@cmc.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:33:25 -0800
Hi all --

As an aside, I had a guy tell me back in 1969 or 1970 that he'd read an
article (source unknown, but he was a mechanic by trade) that said a
study had been done by SAE to determine fastener strength. The
consensus was that SAE fine thread fasteners were significantly stronger
than SAE coarse due to the reduced disruption in the 'grain' (if you will) of
the material involved. I don't know if that's true, but it sure sounded right
to me.

At any rate I've noticed in the clean up of my recently purchased
Roadster (1967 1600) I'm encountering a lot of fine threads (vice coarse)
in the fasteners. And so far, everything has been SAE... not metric.
Guess I don't need to drag out my old VW toolset. Woohoo!

-- lonestar