Re: [Roadsters] Pretty snappy bidding underway for a '69 1600,

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Pretty snappy bidding underway for a '69 1600,
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
"...survived without the aid of seat belts..." but you were never in a vehicle
that was in a serious accident, I'll warrant. Same thing with your daughter in
the wind-up swing (?!). Pretty scary.

Growing up the son of a CHP officer, and reading CHP Magazine every month since
I was old enough to read, I never resented seat belts - I read the accident
reports and saw those (thankfully black & white) pictures. Our family cars had
'em installed before they were required by law. Never resented or even
questioned wearing a helmet to ride my motorcycles, either - I had seen those
pictures in CHP magazine, too. Picked myself up and walked away from a spill on
a racetrack once - happened at 60+ mph - and had to throw away my helmet and
buy a new one 'cause it looked like it had been held up to a belt sander.

On the motorcycle thing: be careful what you say. When Elizabeth Dole - you
know, Bob's wife - was head of the NHTSA back in the '70s, she was pushing for
a requirement that motorcycles have a rotating yellow light mounted on a "sissy
bar" arrangement - to increase visibility.

Gary McCormick
San Jose, CA
'70 2000 SRL311-13291

BARTERDUDE@aol.com wrote:<snip>

I, my sister, my brother (13 years apart) survived without the aid of  seat
belts, my daughter sat in a wind up swing in the back of my '69 Chevy Van  on a
cross country tour back in the mid 70's.  Heck if seat belts are so
important, why haven't they mandated them on motorcycles (harharhar).

Took my 1600 and 2000 on around town trips yesterday.  Grins and  giggles and
enjoying the ride(s) daily.

Gary Lasater  - Parker CO