fot

Re: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification

To: dos_gusanos@msn.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:57:12 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2005 5:24:30 PM Central Standard Time,
dos_gusanos@msn.com writes:

> Interestingly enough, this all came up at the last VMC meeting in the
> aftermath of the big BRIC incident.  The clubs actually discussed what could
> be done to bring cars back down to a level of period correctness, especially
> since many of the trans am cars at the BRIC would have run well in the 1970
> Can Am race and are significantly faster than Donahues or Parnelli Jones'
> cars
> of the era.  I don't expect much to change as most clubs take anybody with
> an
> entry check and lack intestinal fortitude to turn vintage racers away at the
> gates.  A perfect world would feature cars prepared correctly  for the
> period.
> I personally salute the guys who stick to the rules and contribute to the
> fun
> and affordability of the sport.  Stick with the TR3's,  Good luck finding
> places to run the 7's and 8's.

Amici:

I think you know I share these feelings.  '...many of the trans am cars at
the BRIC would have run well in the 1970 Can Am race and are significantly
faster than Donahues or Parnelli Jones' cars of the era.' is neither vintage,
nor
historic racing.

At the VSCDA November Meeting in Chicago, the Board of Directors agreed to u
se both increased communication and inspection to help bring cars back to era
preparation rules.  Concentration will be on engine, brakes, and weight.
Working with Chief of Tech, Bill Dalton, Carl Braun will fill a new leadership
scrutineer position towards that end.  The Production Based Race Groups (2, 6,
and
8) will get more than their fair share of this attention.  I think 2006 will
be a period of communication and setting the bar.  But over prepared cars can
expect to be placed in non-traditional race groups (where and when possible),
and/or not accepted back.

Bill Dentinger