fot

Re: Car Classification -.... and RULES

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Classification -.... and RULES
From: "Gary" <vintage.racer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:09:17 -0800
I've been on FOT for about eight months and have not seen a discussion like
this.  Glad I have a DSL as it would have taken several days on a telephone
modem to download all the messages.

I race out West primarily with CSRG and Susan's last paragraph sums up the
club's philosophy.  CSRG uses the 1967 SCCA GCR as their general bible for
car eligibility.  When a car is submitted to the club's board for approval,
the application is scrutinized not only by the board, but also by a pool of
knowledgeable members for the particular type of car being reviewed.  If the
car passes, the car is given a provisional approval but is subject to review
at the car's first race, during tech inspection to make sure nothing had
been changed.

One other effective method that has been employed by the members, is run
group peer preassure.  A few years ago, based on race finishes and lap
times, it was obvious that certain cars within a group of similar model
cars, were running faster times for no outwardly apparent reason.  Several
members of that group got together with the Board, hired the chief regional
SCCA tech inspector, adivsed the group to check the rules and at the next
race, their cars would be closely inspected.  What do you know...with the
exception of a couple of cars (since made "legal"), all passed.  The result
was that the racing was once again close and the drivers were enjoying their
on-track sessions much more.

So my point is, a club's leadership sets the tone for what is acceptable and
what is not.  In CSRG's case, the club has been around for almost forty
years so it has a tradition and reputation for following the rules approved
by the membership.  Membership feedback has led to revision, clarification
or additions to the rules.  In addition, the board members are elected to
office for two year terms so the membership has the opportunity to make
changes if they feel the club's direction is not what they want.

Four of the five events CSRG runs are non-spectator events so the racing is
for the participants.  No points, no plaques, no trophies, just bragging
rights among friends.  It must be working as the membership, camaraderie and
grids are increasing every year.  Vintage racing is what you as an
individual make of it, find a club that fits your style and go have fun.

Gary